Computer Policy and Use
Computer policy and use
The Marcellus Free Library is pleased to offer computer service and Internet access to the public. Because it is an unregulated system, however, not all Internet information is accurate, complete, or current. Information accessed in this way may include offensive, violent, and/or abusive material. The Library is not responsible for the Internet content and strongly urges parents, guardians, and caregivers to work with children on the computers.
The use of the computer is a privilege, not a right. Inappropriate use will result in a cancellation of the privilege. Following are rules to be observed by computer users at Marcellus Free Library. These rules are subject to revision at any time, and users are responsible for staying informed about current policy.
- One-on-one free Internet training sessions may be scheduled at the circulation desk. The Library may not have the staff to instruct patrons in computer use without an appointment.
- Patrons with a valid Onondaga County Public Library card account may use the computers after logging in with their library card barcode on any free computer. If all computers are in use, please go to the front desk to make a reservation.
- Computers may be used on a walk-in basis for one hour at a time. Time may be extended if no one is waiting. Patrons may request additional time to complete online exams or school assignments.
- Computer users should plan their work to allow for printing time before a session’s end. Computer paper will be provided by the Library. Patrons will be charged .10 per page for black and white, while each color-printed page will be .30 per page.
- Patron computer programs may not be used or installed on Library computers.
- It is understood that the patron might access a site that is inappropriate, at which time the patron must, without delay, back out of the site. A violation of this rule may result in future denial of Internet access.
- Illegally downloading copyrighted songs or musical compositions from the Internet is constitutes a violation of federal law. The Library’s computers are not to be used for such downloading. Users who violate this policy will immediately forfeit all Internet access privileges. Should the user’s conduct result in any liability to the Library, the Library will take appropriate legal action against the user for full indemnification.
- Downloaded software could contain a virus. The Library is not responsible for damage to a patron’s disk/flash drive or computer or for any loss of data or damage that may occur from a patron’s use of the Library’s computer.
Last updated 12 October 2017
Early Closing/Inclement Weather Closing Policy
There will be times when the Library will open later than usual or must close earlier than scheduled due to unanticipated situations, such as inclement weather. On any day that the Marcellus Central School District cancels classes due to inclement weather, the Library will open at noon. Please check social media for updates.