Friends of Marcellus Free Library
Click the drop down menus below for information:
Friends of MFL
Who are the Friends?
- Friends of the Library are individuals who enjoy, support and advocate for the library and who share an interest in helping the library better serve the community.
What do they do?
- The Friends meet monthly to learn about the library, participate in hands-on tasks helpful to the library, and organize fundraising events which help support the library.
When are the meetings?
- The Friends meet from September to June. The meeting dates and program details are listed in the library newsletter and on the website.
Who can join?
- Anyone who wishes to support the Marcellus Free Library is invited to become a Friend. It is not necessary to attend programs/meetings to be a valued Friend and participation at any level is welcome.
How can I join?
- The Friends brochure/application forms are available at the library’s circulation desk. The application form can also be printed here.
How do the Friends raise money?
- Our primary fundraisers are the Book Nook and book sales (see book donation guidelines), basket raffle, membership dues and donations. The Friends of Marcellus Free Library, Inc. are a separate Not-for-Profit Charitable 501(c)3 organization that raises funds to assist the library in providing additional programs and services that are not included in the operating budget. Donations to the Friends are tax-deductible.
- Book Nook - The Friends maintain a used book shop which offers a wide array of gently used books, CDs, and DVDs. It is located in the library next to the copy machine and open during normal library hours. Recycled magazines are available for free in the Book Nook and donations of current magazines are appreciated.
- Book Sales – Large book sales are typically held twice a year in the Community Room. Additionally, a special display of individually priced, gift-giving condition books is put out in the lobby for several weeks prior to the December holidays.
- Basket Raffle – The Friends assemble themed-baskets at the April meeting which are then displayed in the library for several weeks prior to Marcellus’ Olde Home Days celebration the first weekend in June. Basket items are donated by individual Friends and area businesses. Any business who wishes to donate an item(s) or service may contact the Friends via the library’s circulation desk.
How can I get more information on the Friends?
- Attend a meeting – guests are always welcome. Feel free to contact the Friends directly, leave your name and phone number at the library’s circulation desk or call the library. A Friend will contact you to provide more information and answer any questions that you may have.
Benefits of Being a Friend of MFL
Benefits of being a Friend
- Pride in knowing that you are part of a dedicated group that values the library and is committed to supporting its efforts to excel in providing service to the community.
- Friends receive a coupon for a free, regularly-priced book from the Book Nook.
- Friends get free entry to the Early-Bird hours at the spring and fall book sales for first choice of merchandise. Others pay $5.
- Friends receive a discount on beverages from the library’s self-serve cafe.
- Friends receive emails about meetings and events, along with news and info about the library.
- Friends receive alerts about advocacy needs of the library. MFL is part of the Onondaga County Public Libraries system.
Benefits to MFL of having Friends
- Friends foster an awareness in the community of library services and programs.
- Friends maintain the ongoing Book Nook and hold book/media sales twice a year in addition to other fundraising activities.
- Friends provide support and advocacy for the library.
- Friends respond to requests from the library director for monies to fund items which will enhance the programs and services the library provides to the community.
Apply to Join!
- Download an application today
- Mail or drop off at the library!
2018-2019 Calendar of Events
Board of Directors
Board of Directors - 2018-2019
- Audrey Kearney, President
- Michele Merwarth, Vice-President
- Linda Garner, Treasurer
- Nancy Scanlon, Recording Secretary
- Paulette Quinn, Corresponding Secretary
- Sharon Dudley, Director
- Vicki Finkle, Director
- Barb Crawford, Past Pres. (non-voting member)
Book and Media Donation Guidelines
Donation times: Library circulation desk accepts donations during regular hours.
The library accepts gently used books (hard cover, paperbacks and audiobooks on CD), media including movies, CDs, and DVDs, jigsaw puzzles and magazines.
Items must be clean, in good condition and meet specific criteria. The library reserves the right to check all donations prior to acceptance. Donated items cannot be returned.
If accepted, donations may be added to the library’s collection if determined to be useful for current needs, used by the Friends to stock the Book Nook, boxed for the Friends’ book sales, or offered to other agencies. Donations are tax deductible and receipts are available at the circulation desk upon request. Donations of recent magazines are welcome and are offered to patrons for free in the Book Nook. Due to space limitations, please do not bring more than 6 magazines at a time.
- Items not accepted for donation include: • Items in poor physical condition (e.g. broken spine, moldy, water damaged, mildewed, missing or yellowed pages, etc.) • Encyclopedias and textbooks older than 5 years • Reader’s Digest Condensed Books • Unauthorized copies of media • VHS cassettes • Audiobooks on cassette • Music cassettes & albums • Multi-years of back issues of any magazine cannot be accommodated.
Items in demand include:
- Recent paperbacks and hardback books published within the last five years, both fiction and non-fiction
- Children's books
- DVDs and audio books on CD
- Classic literature
- Older books (hardbound or softbound) in fields such as art, architecture, history, cookbooks, philosophy, science, math, sports, biography, nature or performing arts
- Music on CD
- Books of local and regional interest
- Hardback coffee table books